Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Bite Marks, Bruises, Hickeys....Oh My!

I don't know where my sweet, innocent, good Paige went but ohmigoodness I want her back!

She has become a biting machine. I had a bruise last week from a bite. A hickey on my shoulder from where she bit me over and over and over again. On a daily basis, I usually have some sort of bite mark from her as well. She really likes the corner of my knee, it's perfect height for whether I'm standing or sitting when she decides to bite.

I talked to her doctor who said to essentially ignore Paige whenever she hits or bites me us. When a kid does something, they're looking for a reaction, whether it's good or bad. In theory, if she doesn't get a reaction, she'll stop biting and hitting. Since we're disciplining Paige when she does non-physical things - throwing something, ignoring us when we repeatedly tell her to not do something. She gets timeout for 2 minutes and we've seen a decrease in those behaviors. 


To not do anything when being bit or hit sucks. I just want to scream and push her away. I'm hoping that this stage passes quickly - her language skills are developing so fast and we're hearing new words and phrases almost every day. I'm hoping that the cause of these outbursts could be from her communication skills (or lack thereof). And maybe *just maybe*, when she can say exactly what she wants, we'll be over this.




A mom can dream, right?

5 comments:

  1. Dude, I just read this, and not even kidding, I posted almost exactly the same thing today! These kids are vicious sometimes!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your post! lol. These kids of ours...they'll be perfect for each other!! ;)

      Delete
  2. Hi there! I'm new to your blog! :)

    My son is 22 months and I keep saying "When xyz happens" it will get better. Some days are definitly better than others, and he's responding more to some discipline....but most days I feel like I have no clue what I'm doing and flying by the seat of my pants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi back! Welcome to my corner :) I'm constantly flying by the seat of my pants! haha. I really appreciated the frequent well visits of the first year....I had so many questions for her doctor that I'm sure I was driving them crazy! I'm so lost with her age group right now, I'm harassing my friends with older kids :)

      Delete
  3. Lexie had bitten me a few times, when she was younger we redirected but most recently (a few months ago) when she did it I pulled her away and quietly said "Lexie no, we don't bite, biting hurts, ouch, biting hurts mom-mom, not nice, not okay" she gets the concept of "are you okay?" and "be nice" so we try to work with those- good luck!

    ReplyDelete